Kenya - Nursing
Dr. Dok Woods
Ms. Nancy Gaither
June 12, 2019 - June 26, 2019
NURS 4302 - Nursing
Study of health and illness beliefs that are deeply entwined within cultural, social and religious beliefs of various people groups. Alternative types of healing systems in contemporary society will be explored as well as differences between provider and client cultures. Observational experiences among various cultural populations will provide a foundation for self-awareness and providing culturally appropriate nursing care.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Identify methods, theories, and frameworks appropriate for utilization in the development of knowledge related to health care of ethnic/minority, stigmatized, and disenfranchised populations.
- Analyze the concepts of cultural diversity, cultural sensitivity, and cultural competence and their significance for nursing practice and health care.
- Distinguish between health care provider (corporate and individual) culture and client culture regarding health and illness.
- Discuss the relationship of nursing to the science of anthropology and the study of culture.
- Examine healing from a natural magico-religious tradition in relation to the tradition of Western Medicine Science.
- Analyze the interrelationship of culture, religion, and ethnicity to health and illness beliefs and practice.
- Evaluate barriers and alternatives to the traditional healthcare system.
- Apply a framework for assessment that focuses on six key cultural phenomena to selected populations.
- Analyze major concerns and issues encountered by nurses in providing transcultural nursing care to clients.
- Describe transcultural perspectives to nursing care across the lifespan.
Eligibility: Current nursing students
Does not include tuition and fees
If you are considering applying to a study abroad program and you do not have a valid passport, or your passport will expire within six months past your program end date, please take steps to obtain or renew your passport immediately. Passports can take longer than expected to process, and you may need your passport to apply for visas "If Applicable" well before your program begins. For more information about obtaining and renewing passports visit the U.S. Passports & International Travel
International Education Scholarship
Financial Aid at Tarleton
Check out the Tarleton Study Abroad website for more information